Friday 29 March 2013

Back home!

In the past two weeks I've been to Arezzo, Sansepolcro, Monterchi, Florence, Rome and Berlin.  I've seen the Springtime in the Renaissance exhibition in Florence and the Titian exhibition in Rome.  I spent two days in the print room in the British Museum, another two in the Kupferstichkabinett in Berlin and visited the Uffizi print room.  Lots to write about - I'll be updating regularly over the next few weeks.
 
I try to travel at quieter times, and rarely go anywhere in summer (my reading season).  I'm hoping to fit in a couple more trips over spring, and I'm already thinking about where to go in autumn.  I'd love to get to the Piero della Francesca exhibition at the Frick, but I could just go to Williamstown another time to see the one painting in the show that I haven't seen before.  The Durer drawings in Washington, on the other hand, is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  The Albertina is famously protective of its Durer watercolours; apparently you need a letter of introduction from Durer himself before they'll let you see them.  I also want to see the Raphael drawings in the National Gallery's own collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment